I finally got around to ordering Cayman's flea and heartworm preventative. I decided on Advantage Multi since it prevents and kills fleas, prevents heartworm and also prevents internal parasites, unlike my tried and true Revolution does. I ordered a 6 month supply from PetCareRx.com which is actually going to be a three month supply for each dog, since Zoey fits in the weight range as well. I got free shipping and a $5 gift card to be used towards my next purchase. For those not familiar with this product, here is some info...
| Brand Name|
Advantage Multi (Bayer)
| Generic Name|
What is the most important information I should know about Advantage Multi :
| This information sheet is for educational purposes only and is intended to be a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise and professional judgment of your veterinarian. The information is NOT to be used for diagnosis or treatment of your pet. You should always consult your own veterinarian for specific advice concerning the treatment of your pet.|
The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, allergic reactions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for your pet. It is not a substitute for a veterinary exam, and it does not replace the need for services provided by your veterinarian.
Note: Any trademarks are the property of their respective companies
Advantage Multi® (imidacloprid + moxidectin) Topical Solution is to be administered monthly, and when applied directly to your pet's skin, prevents heartworm disease, kills adult fleas and controls flea infestations, and treats and controls intestinal worms. The two active ingredients in Advantage Multi are imidacloprid and moxidectin. Imidacloprid has a high affinity for the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the post-synaptic region of the nervous system of fleas. The ensuing inhibition of cholinergic transmission in insects (i.e., fleas) results in paralysis and death. Moxidectin interacts with gaba-amniobutyric acid (GABA) and glutamate-gated chloride channels. This leads to opening of the chloride channels on the post-synaptic junction, the inflow of chloride ions and induction of an irreversible resting state. The result is flaccid paralysis of susceptible parasites, followed by their death and/or expulsion.
Advantage Multi for Dogs combines 100 percent prevention for heartworm disease, as shown in clinical trials, with the flea control of Advantage®, and the treatment and control of intestinal worms (hookworms, roundworms and whipworms) - all in one, convenient, monthly topical solution.
- 100 percent effective at preventing heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis, as shown in clinical trials.
- 100 percent effective treatment and control of hookworm infections caused by Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala (adults, immature adults and fourth stage larvae).
- Up to 98.2 percent effective treatment and control of roundworm infections caused by Toxocara canis (adults and fourth stage larvae).
- Up to 100 percent effective for the treatment and control roundworm infection caused by Toxascaris leonina (adults).
- Up to 98.6 percent effective treatment and control of whipworm infections caused by Trichuris vulpis (adults).
- Safe and effective, when used topically as directed, for dogs and puppies that are at least seven weeks of age and that weigh at least three pounds.
Pets and their owners alike will be excited by the convenience of Advantage Multi® for Dogsveterinarian will determine the correct dosage for your dog by his/her weight. Once a month, the pre-measured dose is applied to the surface of the dog's skin. (imidacloprid + moxidectin) Topical Solution. Your
Advantage Multi for Dogs is available in the four different sizes:
- Puppies/Dogs 3 - 9 lbs.
- Puppies/Dogs 9.1 - 20 lbs.
- Puppies/Dogs 20.1 - 55 lbs.
- Dogs over 55.1 lbs.
Dosage and Administration
The recommended minimum dose is 4.5mg/lb (10.0 mg/kg) imidacloprid and 1.1 mg/lb (2.5 mg/kg) moxidectin, once a month by topical administration.
Do not apply to irritated skin
- Remove one dose applicator tube from package. As specified in the following table, administer the entire contents of the tube that correctly corresponds to the body weight of the dog.
* Dogs over 88 lbs. should be treated with the appropriate combination of Advantage Multi for Dogs tubes.
- While holding the tube in an upright position, remove the cap from the tube.
- Turn the cap over and push the other end of cap onto the tip of the tube.
- Twist the cap to break the seal and then remove the cap from the tube.
- The dog should be standing for application. Part the hair on the back of the dog between the shoulder blades until the skin is visible. Do not apply an amount of solution at any one location that could run off the side of the dog.
For dogs less than 20 lbs:
For dogs weighing 20 lbs. or less, place the tip of the tube on the skin and apply the entire contents directly on the exposed skin at one spot between the shoulder blades.
For dogs larger than 20 lbs:
For dogs weighing more than 20 lbs., place the tip of the tube on the skin and apply the entire contents directly on the exposed skin at three or four spots on the top of the backline from the base of the neck to the upper back in an area inaccessible to licking.
Do not let this product get in your dog's mouth or eyes.
Do not allow the dog to lick any of the application sites for 30 minutes. In households with multiple pets, keep each treated dog separated from other treated dogs and other pets for 30 minutes after application to prevent licking the application sites. (See indications and warnings)
Stiff hair, a damp appearance of hair, pink skin or a slight powdery residue may be observed at the application site on some animals. This is temporary and does not affect the safety and effectiveness of the product.
Shampooing 90 minutes after treatment does not reduce effectiveness in the prevention of heartworm disease.
Shampooing or water immersion four days after treatment will not reduce the effectiveness in the treatment of flea infestations. However, shampooing as often as once weekly may reduce the effectiveness of the product against fleas.
For the first 30 minutes after application:
Ensure that dogs cannot lick the product from application sites on themselves or other treated dogs, and separate treated dogs from one another and from other pets to reduce the risk of accidental ingestion. Ingestion of this product by dogs may cause serious adverse reactions including depression, salivation, dilated pupils, incoordination, panting, and generalized muscle tremors. In avermectin-sensitive dogs, the signs may be more severe and may include coma and death.1
About Advantage Multi Combination Flea and Heartworm Control