Photobucket Photobucket Therapy dogs spread happiness, love, and cheer to people who otherwise might be lonely, sad or slow to heal. This is the journey of Cayman, a longhair miniature dachshund and his journey and experiences visiting becoming a therapy dog.

Did you know that pet visits often spark good memories of a person's own pets? Dogs often can reach people and children who have withdrawn from the world. It's been suggested by science that petting a dog can lower blood pressure, reduce anxiety and stress, and promote healing.

baby

Photobucket

Guestbook- PLEASE Sign!

Loyal Followers

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cayman's 4th Night and 1st Walk

Nights are getting a bit easier with Cayman, or should I say early mornings are getting easier. Cayman didn't start his crying until about 5 am which was only 45 minutes earlier than I would have to be getting up to go to work anyhow. And he had yet another accident free kennel! Hurray! He has also been doing excellent with the housebreaking, only one accident all day yesterday! Hurray!

Zoey, our toy poodle is finally warming up to the little guy. Yesterday they played together for a good half hour or so! Zoey has always been very gentle with animals younger or smaller than her and she is displaying that same gentleness with Cayman as well.

This morning Cayman got his first bath. He received one the week we picked him up but this was his first with us. It started with Shaylee and I getting ready to take our morning shower and he kept jumping up against the tub and crying. So I told him "I don't know if you really want this, but okay..." and pulled him into the shower with us. He didn't cry or try to get out, he just walked around a lot. So now he smells fresh and clean!

This morning Cayman went on his first walk. My grandmother watches our daughter while we are at work and to keep our daughter's schedule normal and to get Cayman adjusted to his new home, she is watching Shaylee even though I am on a mini vacation. Since my grandmother only lives four houses down from our house, we took Zoey and Cayman on a walk with us. I attached an extra leash to Zoey's harness so that Shaylee could learn how to walk a dog properly while I held onto the other leash attached to her harness, just in case. Nils, my husband, walked Cayman. At first Cayman sat down and refused to walk but after I called to him, he begun walking. It was a lot of stop and go the whole walk to my grandmother's but once Shaylee was dropped off and we turned back towards the house, he did much better. The trick is allowing him to walk close to Zoey. I guess he feels more comfortable walking alongside of her. So even though the walk was short, which was acceptable considering how little he is, Cayman did rather well. I look forward to when he is old enough to go for longer walks with me and the other dogs. In the meantime, we will continue the short walks whenever possible.

No comments: