Photobucket Photobucket Therapy dogs spread happiness, love, and cheer to people who otherwise might be lonely, sad or slow to heal. This is the journey of Cayman, a longhair miniature dachshund and his journey and experiences visiting becoming a therapy dog.

Did you know that pet visits often spark good memories of a person's own pets? Dogs often can reach people and children who have withdrawn from the world. It's been suggested by science that petting a dog can lower blood pressure, reduce anxiety and stress, and promote healing.

baby

Photobucket

Guestbook- PLEASE Sign!

Loyal Followers

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cayman is a Therapy Dog!!!!

I am so silly. I tend to get very excited about things and sometimes fail to read into the details. I did that today with the PAWS Ministry Temperament Testing. I got so excited about the opportunity, that I failed to read that it was suppose to be NEXT Sunday, not today. So I drove to Cape Coral to the Grace Church but it was definitely not for nothing! I got to meet with Misti who is the coordinator for the program. She and several other members where there at the church between sermons promoting the organization. Thank goodness someone was there!

She basically did a temperament test with Cayman and the other dogs and the people right then and there. She said he was wonderful and she seen all she needed to see just in the first five minutes! He was friendly and allowed everyone to pet him, was friendly towards the other dogs and got engages with wrestling with a chihuahua/poodle mix puppy so he obviously got along with other dogs. I do have to go back up there next Sunday (the correct date!) for the orientation and to purchase my PAWS Ministry shirt (they are aqua- my favorite color and Cayman's signature color!). I think she said there was about three or so Saturdays where I have to go on a Saturday as part of the group so the evaluators can see him in action. Then from there I can go whenever which will most likely be Sundays. I just to make other arrangements since the time on Saturdays may interfere with my daughter's Kindermusik class.

Since I live in Ft Myers, our facility that uses the PAWS Ministry is the Hidden Oaks Assisted Living and Alzheimer Residence. She explained that whats nice about visiting nursing homes is that unlike hospitals, they don't mind dogs being dogs. They can play with other dogs and bark and howl (as long as its all in fun and not an aggressive bark) and the residences love it. With hospitals you have to be quiet. Cayman is a quiet dog for the most part but its nice to know they are not too stuffy about the dog's behavior.

How exciting, Cayman is a therapy dog!!!!! Since he was such a good boy, Mommy spoiled him with a tasty twisty bullystick! Yum!

Other purchases made today included a new black harness and matching leash since his aqua harness is getting too small. And a black car seat teether to keep him from trying to climb into my lap while driving, especially if we are going to be driving all the way downtown for training and therapy work!

4 comments:

Ruby and Penny said...

Congratulations.
Cayman will brighten the lives of a lot of people.
Way to go Cayman!

Neabear said...

This is sooo cool! I will definitely be thinking of you everytime dogs visit the facility I work at. We have dogs come in fairly often. Plus family members bring in their dogs if their loved one is missing their pooch. Sometimes they do sort of a dog show and people have their dogs do tricks or something I guess. I never really get to see what is happening in that area because I am usually being do therapy sessions with my patients. I look forward to hearing more about what you are doing with Cayman.

Rowdy and Bette said...

That's great news! Congrats!!

Ben said...

[...Cayman is a therapy dog!...]

http://whosyourdachshund.blogspot.com/2008/11/dachshund-news-round-up_21.html