Photobucket Photobucket Therapy dogs spread happiness, love, and cheer to people who otherwise might be lonely, sad or slow to heal. This is the journey of Cayman, a longhair miniature dachshund and his journey and experiences visiting becoming a therapy dog.

Did you know that pet visits often spark good memories of a person's own pets? Dogs often can reach people and children who have withdrawn from the world. It's been suggested by science that petting a dog can lower blood pressure, reduce anxiety and stress, and promote healing.

baby

Photobucket

Guestbook- PLEASE Sign!

Loyal Followers

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Delta Society Workshop

Grrr. I sent the PAWS Ministry another email, since its been about four days, asking them to please at least reply to my email. Its so discouraging to email someone because you really want to help and be part of their organization and be ignored. Four days isn't very long but most people reply to their emails daily. Sigh, maybe I am just being impatient. Or I guess I should just call them. Hopefully they will answer their phone! :)

I finally got the information for the next Gulf Coast Pet Partners Team Training Course. This is a two day workshop in Punta Gorda (about a hour and a half from us) that is part of the requirement to have Cayman tested to be a therapy dog with the Delta Society, one of the most well known therapy dog organizations out there. Since my husband wants to attend as well, it cost $100 for us to share one student manual and attend the instructional workshop together. It is basically going to cover what we have to do and what is expected of Cayman, but without the dogs there. The price also includes the team evaluation which will be held at a later date. This is when Cayman and I show our stuff!

The workshop is February 7th and 8th. Since we will be enrolling Cayman and I into the basic obedience class at the Dog Obedience Club of Lee County in January, he will be learning some if not all the basics to therapy work as I am learning handling skills as well as the Delta requirements. I contacted the coordinator and she said I can send in my check and our applications as soon as possible and would not deposit the check until class, but it would reserve our seat so I might be sending that out very soon. I am so excited!

1 comment:

Neabear said...

I am sure learning a lot about training dogs for different things with all the information you are getting and posting. Good Luck with getting the information you want.